BEng (Mining), BCom (Fin), GradDip Mngt.
Andrew has over nine years of experience in the mining industry across both coal and iron ore open cut mines.
Over the years, he has gained qualifications, skills and experience in analytics, business improvement, project work, mine planning and scheduling. Andrew takes a first principles approach to problem solving, by understanding the value drivers of a project. He also specialises in providing insightful analytics which deliver meaningful recommendations to drive improvement and innovation. Andrew is skilled in a range of software, including but not limited to Deswik, Microsoft Excel & Project, Vulcan and XPAC.
- Productivity Performance
- Mine Design – Open Cut
- Mine Planning
- Mine Scheduling
- Asset Performance & Optimisation
- Andrew was the Field Improvement Engineer at Yandi Mine (WA) when he discovered underperformance in truck utilisation which was resulting in production losses. By developing and implementing standardised work, truck utilisation increased from 62% to 83% over a six-month period. Other engineers leveraged off his development and implemented similar initiatives across other BHP coal mines.
- As the Production Analyst for BHP Coal Assets, Andrew discovered that truck utilisation and dig rates were highly variable across BHP coal assets which was putting contractual obligations at risk. He undertook an analysis and identified areas of improvement which were implemented with the help of onsite engineers. In addition, a live pareto dashboard was developed to quickly identify and address further losses.
- Andrew was the Drill & Blast Engineer for Peak Downs Mine (QLD) when he identified an infeasible coal seam and drill bench, stalling pit progression and coal exposure. He designed a terraced drill pattern and managed BMA’s first through seam blast using electronic detonators. The project ended up delivering coal recovery 21% above forecast and this has now led to the normalisation of electronic blasting across the operations.
- As the Project Engineer for BHP Operations Services, Andrew recognised that high turnover was resulting in decreased labour productivity and the reliance on labour hire increasing costs. He assisted with setting up processes aimed to reduce turnover and improve labour productivity. This has led to significant cost savings and productivity improvements to BHP & BMA.