BEng (Civil), BCom (Fin), GradDip AppFin & Invest.
With over 20 years of corporate and advisory experience in the resource industry, Karen brings a depth of commercial and financial capability and a proven track record of commerciality and business optimisation.
She has worked with a significant range of commodities, including coal (OC/UG), iron ore, manganese, base metals (copper, nickel, zinc), precious metals (gold, silver), strategic metals (molybdenum, tungsten) and oil & gas. Karen’s experience includes private and public market asset level and company level valuations, financial modelling, development prospect evaluations, buy-side and sell-side due diligence, target list analysis, mergers and acquisitions, takeover defence, capital raisings, initial public offerings (IPOs), project finance support and independent expert’s reports.
- Asset Valuation
- Financial Assessment
- Project Valuation
- M&A Target List Analysis & Cost Modelling
- Due Diligence
- Whilst at Inova Resources, Karen identified and implemented an alternative transaction which facilitated the sale by Exco Resources of its major asset, Cloncurry Copper Project (QLD) to Xstrata, realising $175mil for shareholders. She was able to work around the previously stalled negotiations due to the technical considerations and value expectations which ultimately led to a 17% increase in sale price.
- She developed an interactive economic model whilst working for Inova Resources for their mining engineers to scenario test and devise the optimum mining schedule for restarting the Osborne/Kulthor Mine. This model proved crucial in prioritising spend and efforts in returning the Osborne plant to production and keeping it operating at capacity.
- Whilst working at KasConsult, Karen worked closely with the owners to turn around a small business operating in the services industry, which was on the cusp of bankruptcy. She instigated and developed weekly, monthly and quarterly cash flow and profit and loss projections for managing cash flow; developed new sales and pricing strategy, set cost targets, etc which led to the business turn around its profitability, expand interstate and only recent sold.
- She initiated a change of mine operating plan whilst working at UBS for a pre-IPO mining company, which resulted in an increase in the public market valuation (listing share price) of the company by over 100%. She was able to identify a number of issues with the mine planning and scheduling. Karen prepared advices to the company with recommended changes and was granted leave to delay the IPO listing timetable and work with the independent expert to make the requisite changes. The changes were well received, resulting in significantly higher valuation recommendations at the time of the IPO launch.