José Piñeiro Miranda
MEng (Mining & Environmental), Member of the Official College of Mining Engineering Spain
With 15 years’ industry experience split between operations and consulting, José is a highly competent mining engineer with an international track record and cross commodity experience, either as part of greenfield and/or brownfield projects for both underground and open pit mines
He is a versatile and focused engineer, with the ability to identify bottlenecks and implement innovative solutions to problems. Throughout his career, José has become an expert across multiple software packages including Vulcan, Deswik and Surpac. In addition to his technical skills José is fluent in Spanish, Portuguese and English.
- Mine Optimisation
- Mine Scheduling & Planning
- Open Pit & Underground Mine Design Studies
- Drill & Blast
- Due Diligence
- As Senior Strategic Mine Planning Engineer, José was instrumental in managing the implementation of a new mine planning process for MATSA’s 5Mt combined feed copper mines in Spain. His time with Matsa included prefeasibility and feasibilities for expansion projects.
- Spending 4 years with Deswik Consultants implementing the Deswik software for Clients across Europe, Africa and Asia, José worked across multiple commodities for open put (gold, copper, iron ore, industrials) and underground (copper, chrome, gold, zinc, potash, coal) in a variety of mining methods covering short, medium and long term planning and design for operations and feasibility studies.
- At Mutanda’s copper mine in the DRC (Glencore Operated), José applied new grade control procedures, which included phasing out bulk mining methodologies and applying selective mining techniques. This changed allowed for boosting metal recovery while the production planning targets were still achieved.
- José played an integral role in creating and implementing efficient blast master procedure and guidelines with Downer EDI for FMG’s Christmas Creek iron ore mine, located in Western Australia. He determined that dilution was an issue and was able to minimise by adjusting the size of the shots and drilling diameters to apply depending on the depth of the top of the ore. He continued this on for Downer’s to Anglo’s sunrise dam gold mine.
- The implementation of the sub level caving method for a chromium mine in Scandinavia, meant a critical increase of production drilling meters. José was able to generate multiple scenarios, fine tuning the allocation of the equipment, which led to higher drilling rigs productivity and avoid new equipment acquisition.